Thursday, July 21, 2016

The End of Civility

It's been quite some time since I've posted here.  Four years to be exact, around the last time this goofball country was in election mode.  I thought things were bad back then and was afraid Mitt Romney would be elected.  The American people surprised me by reelecting Barack the Shock, but the rhetoric of hate has only magnified in the intervening years.  This ocean of anger has resulted in the nomination of one Donald Trump for President, something I never thought I would see.  If a Romney Presidency caused me to lose sleep at night, the thought of a Trump Presidency has created a black hole of terror which has begun to consume my waking hours as well as my nightmares.

It's not just the notion that Trump will run this country into the ground with misguided economic policies and a xenophobic foreign policy.  For me, it's the look into the dark heart of America and those who have flocked to his banner.  I had thought we were finally turning the corner away from racism, homophobia, sexism, xenophobia, and the crippling fear of the Bush years, but here we are.  Like we never left  It's a giant black festering mass teeming beneath the red, white, and blue.  It's misappropriated the Gadsden flag and the other symbols of The Revolution.  It's also armed to the teeth and angry.  So angry.

I am once again legitimately frightened of my fellow countrymen.  To me, these were people I disagreed with.  To me, they're still Americans.  To them, I am a traitor.

So what's the answer?  Hillary Clinton sucks, but vote for her.  Vote for sanity.    

No comments:

Post a Comment